Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Uganda 2013: My Story

Hello Friends & Family!

I'm so excited you are interested in hearing my story as I went on my life changing experience in Uganda, Africa this summer. So many of you have asked me about my trip, and I'm thrilled to share everything I experienced with you. However, God is still helping me process some of the things I saw in this beautiful country. While so many people were joyful, I still saw a lot of brokenness, loneliness, poverty, and need.

So, I have decided to start this blog to tell you about my experiences. I wrote so much on my journal and that is how I will tell you my story. I am excited to look back at all that God did in the lives of so many children, women, and men in Uganda. However, I want to do more than just look back and remember. I want God to continue to stir my heart to put my faith into action and do something about the situations I saw. There is one in particular that absolutely broke my heart. Like so many Christians that go on mission trips, I asked God to break my heart on this trip with what breaks His. That's exactly what He did on many occasions but more than in any other, in one specific orphanage I visited. You will find out more about this orphanage as you read my blog entries.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. I hope and pray that as me, you too get your heart broken so that it leads you to take action to help so many people in need.

The first thing I want to tell you about my experience in Uganda is that God taught me the most important lesson of my life. As many of you know, I have been on many mission trips before. I have seen all kinds of heartbreaking things. Most of the time, I come back discouraged. Discouraged because even though I desired with all my heart to end people's hurt, loneliness, brokenness, poverty, etc...I just couldn't. I had to come back to my comfortable life in the USA. Of course, we all have problems, but nothing compares to what these people encounter on a daily basis. During my trip in Uganda, there was one day I felt so discouraged. I was so upset that I couldn't do anything to change the circumstances of one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met. Then God brought to mind a paragraph I had read earlier on the trip from the book No Greater Love by Mother Teresa. It made me realize that the God who created the heavens and the Earth is the only One who can do something about these people's circumstances. He is our Heavenly Father who will always make a way to provide for all our needs and comfort us always, in His own power and in His perfect timing. This is what the book says...

If you are discouraged, it is a sign of pride because it shows you trust in your own powers. Never bother about people's opinions. Be humble and you will never be disturbed. The Lord has willed me where I am. He will offer a solution.
-Mother Teresa
 
I know I am only one person, but with God's help, I know I can make a difference. Perhaps I can't change the circumstances of all the people I encountered, but I know I can change the life of one person through my actions. This is why my desire is to put my faith into action just like James urges us to do in the Bible.
 
You are more than welcome to share this blog with your friends. I want people to learn the stories of the people I met in Uganda. This is how change happens and I want YOU to be part of the change for some amazing children who became orphans here on Earth but who have a Heavenly Father who will provide for their needs through people like US.
 
Thank you for allowing me to share my life changing experience through this blog!
 
All My Love,
San Juanita 

1 comment: